Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Day 34 of 35 days in quarantine

Friday we are going from level 5 to level 4 lockdown, I don't think it is going to make a lot of difference to us. Everyone has to wear a mask when out of the house or in the shops etc., it looks like cigarettes will be on sale but still no alcohol. There will be no recreational travel allowed and a curfew between 20h00 and 05h00 will be in effect, draconian measures limiting our freedom, measures which may even be unnecessary but what can we do?

Along with a great many other people we are now trying out a wine recipe; two cups of white sugar, four litres of pure red grape juice and one packet (10 grams) of yeast. Shake it well until the sugar has dissolved and leave it to stand with a loose top for at least one week. We have no idea what it tastes like but I got the recipe online, it's worth a try - next week I'll let you know.





This Chinese virus has has really set us back, the people who are buying our house are trying to sell their house in Capetown before they can do anything. All of the furniture, clothing, ornaments, books etc. that we are taking with us overseas have been packed and removed so we are living in a mostly empty house but there's nothing we can do. We will have to start paying for the storage from May.

I have to sell the furniture, kitchenware and other items that remain but I can't do that yet because people are not able to come and buy, lots of things have been booked but we must wait, On top of all of this our British passports expire in September so if we cannot travel before then we have to go through the hassle of renewing our passports. Damn the Chinese!

At least we can still go shopping for essentials and I have been a couple of times on the bike, I went this morning in absolutely beautiful weather and managed to add an extra twenty or so kilometers to my trip home by going the long way. I really am hoping for just one more ride with my club before I hand the bike over to Murray, once we are allowed to ride he's going to want it and I won't blame him.

Crazy times we are going through. Stay safe everyone.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ai, very sad but we glad you stay a bid longer with us. Hope the wine is a success.

the rider said...

Thank you friend, thanks for your comment, they are rare on this blog so really appreciated, helps me to know that there are a few people reading it.

The wine does not appear to be working, we found out that the yeast we used was dead, too old so I bought new one and added it but still no result so now we're thinking maybe the container wasn't properly clean. I have bought a new container and some more ingredients and we will try again.