Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, March 2, 2020

March Breakfast run and it was a hot one!

Cruising north along the R27 from Darling at around 13h00 I was looking through sweat-blinded eyes at my temperature readout; 36Celsius (97f) my tee shirt was sticking to me under my jacket, sweat coursing down my back. We turned off heading down to Langebaan, still hot, turned onto the bypass road and as we crested the hill and looked down onto the beautiful blue lagoon we rode into a cool breeze and within minutes the temperature had dropped by an amazing 10 degrees.
I'm getting ahead of myself, we met at Juffroushoogte early Sunday morning, the intention was to ride a bit earlier to beat the heat but that didn't happen, the heat was relentless and even as we headed out along the R45 at that time of the day it pressed down upon us like a down duvet with the promise of more to come. Still great to be out on the bike though.











Eight bikes, fourteen members and two visitors with Cactus Jack bringing up the rear in his air conditioned car which was to become a source of envy a little later. Interim destination the service station in Malmesbury where we would smoke, refuel and have a tea break.











It was a pleasure to park in the shade, remove jackets for a while though there was still no breeze to speak of.
Gerda and Cactus Jack pouring tea












We were there for perhaps half an hour and then it was time to get back into the heat and there in Malmesbury it was even more oppressive, the only thing to do is get moving and generate some wind of your own.
Back down the N7
and onto the R315












Just as hot riding the R315 but it's a more interesting road that winds and undulates its way through the pale, dry wheatfields, cars and several other bikes approach through the shimmering heat haze. We raise hands in greeting to the other bikers, acknowledging the brotherhood but perhaps also the fact that they were prepared to ride on such a day as well.











Soon the little Hamlet of Darling was in sight, home to Pieter Dirk Uys and his famous alter ego Evita Bezuidenhout, also the home of Darling Brewery the brewers of craft beer of which I am not too keen anyway. We parked the bikes in the small parking area behind Brig's Barn, a little eatery that we have frequented several times in the past. They offered us the veranda but we found it to be cooler inside, the air conditioner was working overtime and barely coping but the beers when they arrived were nice and cold, the first one did not even touch sides as the frosty ambrosia soothed not only my parched throat. Another one followed shortly after and I started feeling better.











The drinks and the food took a while, the single waitress assigned to us was kept busy, my breakfast was good but quite pricy at R90 and I was so hungry by the time it arrived I forgot to photograph it. Both Anton and Cactus Jack had "three egg omelettes" which were so small they considered them to be starter portions, not one of the better breakfast experiences.

Time to go, we decided to head down to the R27 and then stop for an A.B.F at the Pirate's bar and that's where I started this story. Some of the group gave this place a miss and headed on home.
Gerda, Roleyn and Cactus Jack
Rinette (First lady) and Anton (Pres)











We spent a very pleasant hour or so there. When we all left to go home I ended up behind Murray and Laureen who also headed into our town, when I stayed behind them to find out what they were doing they led us to the Captain's Cabin for another dop (or two).

I am really going to miss these wonderful people, this family - I love them all and I especially enjoy these breakfast runs with them.

I have posted many more photos on my facebook page of the same name, should you be interested please have a look there.

No comments: