Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Saturday, March 28, 2020

Day 2 of 21 days in quarantine

I slept like a log last night and only woke up at 07h30, that's very unusual for me I'm not normally a heavy sleeper and I wake up usually before 06h00. Lately I have been sleeping better and waking later and this I attribute to the cannabis oil I'm taking at night, amazing stuff and hopefully the dreaded corona virus also hates it.

It's only day 2 ! When you go on holiday for three weeks the time flashes by!

We went outside at 20h00 to go and clap and cheer for first responders after reading a post requesting this gesture of appreciation from everyone. We applauded briefly but apart from another couple across the street, who didn't applaud we were alone out there so I doubt whether any of the first responders heard us - thanks anyway guys and girls.

I think I heard one car going past our house during the day, it is extremely quiet. I read about people out on the streets getting confronted by Police and the occasional mini-brain jogger or dog walker getting sent home. It sounds like in general, with some small exceptions that people are adhering to the lockdown.

This is going to get boring and the scary thing is that it very well might be extended beyond April 16th. We were supposed to be out of the house by the end of April but we have now extended it to the end of May because although we have sent all the furniture that will accompany us overseas to storage there is still a lot that must be sold or donated. This can only happen when people can move freely around.

We're drinking our first glass of wine for the day, it's now 17h00 although as it is Saturday we did have two beers at lunchtime. I must monitor what we are drinking and calculate if our stocks are going to last otherwise Janet might have to go on rations.

We are going through very unusual times right now, this quarantine is weird. I am quite used to being at home having been retired for over three years but the fact that I cannot go out is worrying, I cannot get on the bike and go for a ride and at the moment the weather is perfect for that. It's scary and I must confess to a feeling of apprehension, I've never felt this way before and I don't like it.

The Chinese have a lot to answer for and they should be shunned by the international community, at the moment they are starting their factories and businesses up and are profiting from the virus that they unleashed on the world. They are manufacturing masks and gloves and even ventilators when back in June last year they knew of the virus but withheld the information from the WHO so as not to damage their economy. They only reported it eventually in November when their own medical professionals insisted. I am so angry right now.

Another thing is that we have missed our monthly Book club run, our club meeting and we will miss the April breakfast run, I will not have the bike for much longer so I need a couple more rides.

Stay safe, stay home and let's get through this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree the Chinese took us for a nasty ride.😔