Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day 01, the day before official quarantine, apocalypse prepping

Thursday 26th March 2020, tonight our enforced quarantine begins; "Lockdown" an ominous word and we are told that it will be strictly enforced by Police, Traffic department and assisted by the army. Our intention is to stay at home for the entire 21 days even though allowances are being made for people to buy groceries and urgent medical supplies. We have a few supplies and I tried to make sure that we have enough beer, wine and whisky because those items are not classified as essential - can you believe that?!

On Tuesday I got on the bike to go for a ride, I went in search of some wine and managed to secure two 5ltr box wines to add to my stocks after which I rode through to Hopefield via Velddrif to buy some frozen free range chicken from Hope farms. It really was a pleasant ride and I was happy to be out there.
Derelict building on the road to Hopefield
Lovely day for it, very little traffic












We've been making and freezing "Apocalypse food", cheap but good food that goes a long way with pasta etc. The first one we did was brawn made with pig's heads;












We bought three pig's heads already chopped up, bones teeth and all (with ears) and I sliced some of the skin off with which Janet makes lovely "pork scratchings", a lovely crunchy snack.
Janet makes lovely pork scratching












Everything went into a big pot with chopped veggies to simmer for several hours after which Janet strained the bones and teeth out and got four molded brawn loaves. We used one of the loaves to make a pasta sauce, it was outstanding with a delicious "offal" flavour which I understand is not to everyone's taste but we love it. Three "loaves" which will make four meals each have been frozen.

Next was another favourite made with chicken hearts, giblets and necks which also goes a long way;
Chicken hearts, I trim the bit of fat and the veins off

Chicken giblets, trim the bitter green part off
Chicken necks, just as they are












This is then fried up to brown it after which Janet makes a rich, spicy sauce which goes extremely well with pasta. This also makes several portions which will be frozen, less than R10 per meal. We'll survive, we're Africans, we're a tough breed.

I nipped into town today to get another case of beer just in case and the town is crowded, the pavements and streets full of jostling hordes of last-minute shoppers. The ATM queues extending along the pavements. I was uneasy there, it was the first time I have ever felt like that but this damn social media has induced a feeling of panic, of impending doom and the corona virus was hanging green in the air waiting to pounce. I bought my case of beer and rushed back to the safety of my home where I will now stay.

I feel sorry for those who are not going to be comfortable or who do not have a place to spend the quarantine period, what of those living in crowded squatter camps who are unable to maintain any form of social distancing. Thank goodness I have my internet otherwise I would go crazy - oh and just because we're on this enforced home stay does not mean we will change our drinking habits, we only have a couple of drinks after 17h00.  (to quote Alan Jackson ~"It's five o'clock somewhere."~

We will maintain a positive mental attitude and hope and pray that the three week quarantine period is enough to "flatten the curve".  Stay safe, stay indoors and be well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man the food looks interesting 😋

the rider said...

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. This is our kind of food and believe me it is very tasty, we make it often.