Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, December 13, 2018

Christmas "Bring 'n braai" at my house

Sunday we attended the biker church service at Lighuis in Vredenburg and then club members were invited to bring and braai at our house in Saldanha. For my overseas readers who might not know the concept, the "bring 'n braai" is quite popular here when large groups get together and the host doesn't have to bear the cost of supplying food and booze for everyone, they bring their own meat and drinks. Janet made two salads and Kathy brought a dish of her lovely miellie pap tert, one of my favourites made with miellie meal, cheese and bacon. (How can it be bad with ingredients like that?!)
I went down to the harbour on Friday and collected a bag of fresh mussels from Blue Ocean Mussels to give my guests a lovely starter, I lit the fires at 10h00 and they started to gather.
As host it's my duty to check quality!
They soon gathered around















The mussels were lovely, I still enjoy eating them and the fact that I can get them fresh whenever I want is one of the advantages of living in Saldanha.











After the mussels it was time to start braaing, it was a very hot day but everyone got stuck in.
Everyone braais their own meat
Sampie and Metjie












Laureen braais for Murray
Stefanie and Elsje












Nearly ready
Seeking shelter from the heat Metjie and Daan retreated into the forrest.











Henrico chatting Janet up
Festive group


Afterwards everyone sat on the verandah and we enjoyed the  comfortable banter that usually follows a good meal.
Frank, Henrico, Metjie and Gerrie
Adrie, Bev and Daan









Gerrie and Monika demonstrate the bug
and everyone has a go at it
























We ended off with Janet's very popular "Millionaire's shortbread" which didn't last for very long at all. It was a great party, a happy and festive group. People started leaving after that except for Frank, I eventually kicked him out at 18h00!
Remember to click on the photos to see them full size, and if you feel so inclined don't forget to vote for this blog, just click on the button on the right. We'll speak again soon, stay safe.

No comments: