Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Saturday, December 22, 2018

A backyard braai and the fourth Book Club

This past Sunday was a typical summer's day, hot and calm with very little wind to cool things down. I had contemplated taking Janet out for a ride but just the thought of getting into the riding gear gave me pause, then I thought "What about a braai?" Janet was already getting into her comfy clothes, "Bring me a beer while you're at it." - decision made. Plenty of time for the meat to defrost while I got things ready.
We both really enjoy our backyard area and have made it into a comfy refuge which promotes a feeling of "being on holiday" when we're out there relaxing or braaiing, both of which we do pretty often.











I prepared some sweetcorn miellies and hasselback potatoes which went on as soon as I lit the fire so that they would have time to cook properly, I get major comeback from Janet if my potatoes are hard or glassy! Then my chicken leg and thigh portions went on and when they were close to ready I banked up the coals and put my Karoo lamb chops on. 
If you've been reading this stuff you'll know that I love Karoo lamb chops!
Everyone knows that the fat on the lamb chops has to be caramelized and crispy so I lowered the grid and built up the coals some more. What a lekker lunch that was! My potatoes passed with flying colours too!

Wednesday saw the fourth meeting of the Book Club and I met up with Willie at the Pirate's Bar in Langebaan, actually just outside of the town and this time it was only the two of us and as Willie was on his third run he qualified for the coveted "Book Club" breast flash.
While we were there chatting I started getting Whatsapp messages from Anton and Heine asking where we were, they were on their way back from Capetown and would join us.
I heard the deep throb of an unfamiliar sounding motorcycle arriving and went outside to have a look and there was Anton with his latest acquisition;
A beautiful pearl white Indian Chieftain that he had just bought and ridden back, the photos don't do it justice, there is an iridescent gold sparkle in the paint that flickers in the sunlight, truly an amazing looking machine.
There's a lot of chrome to polish there on that big 1800cc mill!  Congratulations Anton may you enjoy many hundreds of happy miles on that lovely bike.
 Willie (left) with Heine and Gerda enjoying a drink with us at Pirate's before they all headed for home.
You can see Anton's Book Club badge on his jacket, Willie and I moved on to "Zizi's" in Langebaan for an A.B.F., I try to stay away from Langebaan in December because it is crazy crowded with tourists. I enjoyed a nice cruise home around the bay, happy after a day out on the bike with my friends.
We have a trip out to Lambert's Bay planned for Sunday where we will visit the "Cool Kidz" safe house with some supplies and a bit of Christmas cheer and I'll tell you all about that, I don't expect that many of the Club members will be going with now as it is family time.

No comments: