Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Breakfast at the Viper Lounge, courtesy of the Gypsy Jokers

After our Book Club ride last Wednesday I said to Janet that I really wanted to go for a longer ride, we haven't been for a decent ride for ages so she was also keen. I cannot remember the last time we went for a long ride, we've done several local runs like the Book Club and our breakfast runs but nothing of any distance. I fear I am no longer "bike fit" so I need to do something about it.

In December before he went on leave Eduardo, President of the local Gypsy Jokers chapter gave me a breakfast voucher for two at the Viper Lounge in Tableview, Capetown which was due to expire on 31st January, "How about we go down there for breakfast?" I suggested to Janet. So it was that at about 08h30 this morning, Tuesday 28th we saddled up.

It was a mild day with a gentle breeze and as we roared down the R27 south towards the Mother City I saw 22 Celsius on my readout. The ride was pleasant, the road was not too busy and most of the cages we encountered moved aside for us, I was not in any hurry so I maintained an easy 130 to 140kmh, just enough to stay ahead of the traffic. I did not take any photos or any video because it is such a boring road, we just cruised along in our own bubble, contented thoughts in our own helmets.

I turned right at the Melkboss traffic lights and took the coastal road through to Tableview, enjoying the drop in temperature, the coastal air redolent with the heady scent of ozone carried ashore from the breakers by the gentle breeze. I was happy to be in that space at that time.

Beauty
and the beast












I parked the bike right outside the Viper Lounge to lend the place a bit of class, after all it is predominantly a Harley Davidson shop. Obviously at that time of day on a Tuesday the place was not busy.
Once inside Janet spotted the "VIP Room", euphemism for the Slots room so she bummed some money from me and headed in, I was happy to chat with the mechanic and then placed our breakfast orders. Janet wasn't in there long, apparently she pressed the wrong buttons!
Interesting table
A colourful biker bar











I ordered the "Banting" breakfast because it had a nice cheesy meat patty, loads of bacon and mushrooms which I then had with toast, for R95 which I thought was reasonable, it was a really good breakfast.
Janet had the "Mini" breakfast for R60 which was great, I know because I also had some of it when she couldn't finish. Nice pork sausage there, and again lots of bacon, good value.

After that it was back out onto the R27 and a cruise home with an A.B.F stopover at the Pirate's Bar in Langebaan.
A nice morning out on the bike and a free breakfast, Thanks Eduardo!

No comments: