Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, October 28, 2019

W.I.M.A rally Cradock March 1982

As soon as I got back into biking, when I bought my Yamaha 1.1 I decided to start going to some rallies and the first one I chose was the Woman's International Motorcycle Association rally in the pretty coastal town of Port Alfred, a distance of some 280km from where I lived at that time. This was back in 1982 and as I booked accommodation at the hotel Janet was happy to come with me although she didn't spend much time at the rally!

Janet stopped accompanying me to rallies when I started camping at the rally sites, which I did for two main reasons; firstly I enjoyed being where the action was and secondly I was (still am to a slightly lesser extent) a party animal and I didn't want to be riding my bike late at night under the influence of alcohol.









The Woman's International Motorcycle Association was established in 1950 in the USA, I do not know if they are still active in South Africa, I was not able to get much information from Google but the rallies were not restricted to women, we were welcome to attend. It was not a very big rally but it grew in popularity and by the time I attended my third one it was a lot bigger.









This dude has a pistol on his hip, he's 37 years older now, I wonder if he's reading this? Leave a comment if you recognize yourself in these pictures.
You often see this at rallies
and there are often minor falls



Evening in the main tent
drinking beer

 
This guy wearing a BSAP cap wasn't an ex member
The mass ride took place around the town and the harbour and the following year the W.I.M.A rally was held in Cradock, I don't know if they were not wanted back in Port Alfred but I attended two more and was accompanied by more riding friends on those, along with wives. As a first rally it wasn't too bad and I was to go on and attend many, many more over the years.

No comments: