Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, August 7, 2017

Monthly Breakfast Run

Sunday 6th August dawned bright and clear even though we are now pretty much in the middle of winter, my temperature readout showed a chilly 9 celsius as we rode through isolated patches of heavy fog to Juffroeshoogte to meet up with Meeulanders members. It was time for our monthly breakfast run and as usual I had no idea of how many people there would be.
The Saint Helena Bay crowd were already there with hot coffee; Anton, Rinette and Hein with two visitors George and Ronelle. I ordered coffee for us and already other bikes were pulling in, by the time we were ready to leave a good crowd had gathered,
Shortly after 09h00 twenty three people on fifteen bikes headed out onto the R45, because it was only a short ride to the venue in Velddrif we were in no hurry so I kept the group together at a steady 120 to 130kmh, sometimes it's nice to just cruise and take time to smell the roses.
At Hopefield we turned left and rode along the back road that runs along the Berg River into Velddrif and pulled off the road at the grain silos for a "tea break". Along this section my bike showed 12 celsius but Willie's had showed 10 so it was still pretty chilly as we parked and climbed off.
Anton and Rinette had brought along a lovely bottle of Grenadilla liqueur which had been made by a friend of theirs, this just happens to be Janet's favourite liqueur so she was happy. It was delicious and quite strong, I have ordered a bottle.
Willie's temperature guage showed 10 celsius here


After a very pleasant stop it was time to move on, our destination was just around the corner but even so it was great to be out on the bikes, and we had some nice ones there;

From Henrico's lovely 900 Honda which he is still busy restoring to George's Triumph 2300 and lots in between we saddled up and cruised into Velddrif to the "Vishuis" (Fish house) restaurant on the now tourist famous Bokkomlaan.

This is a nice little restaurant, we have been there before but not for a long time, it is right on the banks of the Berg river, a picturesque spot and very busy in the summer. This time we had the place to ourselves and we were well looked after.
The happy bunch of bikers on the banks of the Berg River


 

We had a very nice time, the breakfast was good and we'll certainly be back. Eventually we had twenty one members and four visitors so an excellent turn out once again.
My next event will be a return to the Polar Bear run on Saturday 26th, this will be the ninth annual run, I missed the last two because of family holidays so I'll tell you all about that one. In the meantime stay safe.

4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

An excellent turn out. Sure seems chilly but at least you had some sunshine.

Saturday the 26th is my birthday! Have a drink for me, I'll be 46. I know...... still young.

the rider said...

Brandy you've been with me for a long time and I thank you, I love your comments and believe me on the evening of Saturday 26th in the hotel in a little town in the western cape of South Africa called Porterville I will raise a glass to your special day, count on that! And yes, 46 is still young. Enjoy.

goodtime charlie@ said...

Greetings mister Wood, what do I need to do to follow your blog

the rider said...

Greetings Charles, welcome, I am glad that you are reading my blog. If you scroll down slightly you will see, on the right hand side a list of followers, below that is a tab labelled "follow", click on that and you will be directed.