Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The new Road Captain.

At the last monthly meeting of the Meeulanders Motorcycle Club I was honoured to accept the office of Road Captain, the post has been vacated by Frank who has decided that the time has come to hang up his helmet and Div., the President nominated me for the post.
I will do my best to follow in the footsteps of everyone's "Uncle Frank". Except being the last one to leave  biker jols in the early hours of the morning, I don't think that falls under duties of the Road Captain!
In an emotional handing over speech Frank assured everyone that he would still be a member of the club and will still attend local biker functions, none of us want to lose Uncle Frank, an iconic member of the local biking scene.
I am hoping now that I have given up working that I will be able to devote more time to riding and will be able to take part in some rides from which I was previously excluded. I think that my rally days are pretty much over, after the big one; Africa Bike Week about which I posted earlier, I'm pretty much "rallied-out", I had long been fed up with the over-crowded Buffalo Rally which I first attended way back in 1982 and had settled down to attending two of the smaller rallies per year; the Beaver Rally in Montagu and the Freedom Road in Struisbaai/Agulhas but now that Frank, who was my rally mate is no longer on the scene I will have to see.
We've had some serious parties together and perhaps we can get him to drive the back up vehicle with the kit, that will keep him involved.
Uncle Frank's birthday jol is being held at the Phoenix bar in Vredenburg on Saturday 9th July from 16h00, he is sharing the day with Johan who rides for the Gypsy Jokers, this promises to be a party of note - see you there.

3 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Congratulations El Capitan!

Anonymous said...

Congrats !!! enjoy the new found responsibility !!!!

the rider said...

Thanks guys, hopefully I will be able to fill the position well, I'll certainly give it my best. I now really enjoy the club life.