Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, July 14, 2016

Food glorious food - mussel and bacon bites

Again a post which has nothing at all to with braais, beers or bikes - well you could drink beer with it, I'm talking about food but not on a braai, mussel and bacon bites to be precise.
One of my favourite local restaurants has this on their starter menu and I have it whenever we go there, but I had always thought that I could do them myself, also having been in the mussel farming industry I had easy access to the main ingredient. On Wednesday I would try them out on my buddy Frank who was coming round for dinner, I've often used him as a guinea pig for my food experiments:
Take a piece of rindless streaky bacon and thin it out with the back of a knife,
carefully wrap the bacon around a pre cooked mussel, taking care to cover as much of the mussel as possible, and secure it with a toothpick, there were twelve pieces of bacon in the packet so I made up twelve bites,
 then roll the bites in flour, beaten egg and then seasoned breadcrumbs, I used Cayenne pepper and mixed herbs in the breadcrumbs,
place them in the fridge for an hour or so to set,
then deep fry and eat! We served with a "Thousand Island" type sauce to dip but you can use ordinary mayonnaise or sweet chili sauce, they were delicious and we will definitely make them again, easy to make just a bit "fiddly".

4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

I've never had mussels this way but back in the day we used to do this with oysters. For some reason here they are called Angels on Horseback when served in restaurants. Yumm.

the rider said...

Thanks Brandy you've given me the idea to try the same recipe on oysters, I'll let you know how it goes.

Kim said...

Food looks amazing!

the rider said...

Thanks Kim, and thanks for reading my stuff.