Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, September 21, 2009

Saturday Braai

Not a lot has happened this past week, we were extremely lucky with the weather on the Polar Bear run though because Monday through to Wednesday was terrible! We had gale force winds and lots of rain, so the two day gap over the weekend was really unusual - gratitude for that!
We had friends over the past weekend; Linda on Friday night and Saturday morning, Alan went to lodge with me and stayed over Saturday night and then Rene' and Bronwyn came on Sunday and left on Monday morning, hell of a busy weekend but lots of good times.
The weather was good to us again so I did a braai for lunch on Saturday, first was my famous "Pork tasties" - take some nice thick cut pork rashers, rub the rinds with cooking oil and salt and lay them over moderate coals, I also had some lovely big potatoes which we had sprinkled with Aromat and covered with a big pat of fresh butter, these were wrapped in tinfoil and placed on the coals.

Once you have browned the rashers on both sides you need to cook the rinds, balance them skin side down against a piece of wood and braai them like that until you have the rinds nice and crackly, take care not to burn them. Keep turning the potatoes as well.

Once the rinds are done all you have to do is make sure the rashers are cooked, then cut them into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle with some salt and a little mixed herbs and you have a delicious, crunchy appetiser for your guests to nibble on while you get the rest of the meal ready.

I then braaiied some lamb leg chops and the ubiquitous boerewors, I also prepared some sweet corn miellies in tinfoil in the coals and we had a lovely, rather typical South African weekend lunch.

As I was not sure what the weather would be like on Sunday I had decided to do a Potjie (Poy-key) for Rene' and Bronwyn's lunch, another favourite meal of mine and one which I have done hundreds of times before but they always turn out different, never boring or repetitive. I'll tell you about that one in my next post.

No comments: