Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, September 25, 2019

We visit the Deneysville Motorcycle museum and biker pub.

Just last week we traveled up to Johannesburg for the 130th reunion of the founding of the original company that resulted in the establishment of the British South Africa Police, the Rhodesian Police force that was acknowledged at the time to be one of, if not the best Police force in the world. I am proud to have been a member of that fine band of brothers.

We landed in Johannesburg on Saturday morning and were collected by my good friend Rory who took us out to his place on the Vaal Dam where we would spend the weekend. What a good weekend that was, and I was particularly pleased to have the opportunity to visit the Historical Motorcycle Museum in the nearby town of Deneysville. I had heard of the museum and the associated biker bar before so was excited to visit.

We arrived in the town around 11h00 and went straight to the butchery for supplies and then headed to the bar as it had been quite a long drive.
 The Biker bar attached to the Inn, a rustic and cool refuge from the heat with cold beer.
Adjacent to the bar is the museum and the owner John Boswell's very interesting workshop.
We sat in the bar for a bit and then Rory went off to open up his site, we stayed behind to visit the workshop and the museum.
John had been working on this one, sounded sweet
John showing us his workshop projects.












The museum is small but very interesting with well over 100 bikes on display, most belonging to John with some on loan or being stored.
Honda CBX and Kawa Z1300
Lovely KZ1300










Red Yamaha 1.1 in the lineup
Janet has, by association become a fan











 My old friend the late Des Pistorius' million kilometer Honda Goldwing is on permanent display there, donated to the museum by his family.
 Des and I used to have late night Skype chats when he would call me up around 23h00 if he saw me online, his name is still on my skype list and I haven't the heart to delete it.
Honda 550 Four K
I love this Kawasaki 750











Well known name.
1922 Sunbeam TT90






















We spent a happy hour and a bit in the museum, it is a very interesting place nicely laid out with lots of information, if you haven't been there yet you need to go - I'm glad I did.
 From the Museum it is an easy fifty or so metres to the other happy place, the biker bar where, as I said; the beers are cold and the open sided thatch structure makes a welcome respite from the Freestate heat.
 We chatted with John and his lovely wife Charmaine and some of the locals. We spent time there on Saturday when we arrived and also on Sunday afternoon after a boat trip on the dam. Bikers and locals came and went, an eclectic bunch of friendly people and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
If you haven't yet been to the biker bar then you really should go, thanks to my old diving and drinking buddy Rory here we got that opportunity. Another item on my bucket list checked off.
To see the photos full size, and a lot of them are worth seeing full size, just click on them. Cheers for now and thanks for popping in.

No comments: