Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, March 11, 2019

March Breakfast run, a tea break disaster as my memory lets me down

Our scheduled breakfast run for March was to be to Velddrif to support the Mac's Mc jol at a pub in the harbour, this had been scheduled as a full weekend event so we were going to show support. We gathered at our usual venue; Juffoushoogte for coffee and eventually we were sixteen in number on ten bikes, a pretty good turnout.

It turned out that the event closed early, the traffic department had been victimizing bikers with road blocks directly outside the venue all weekend to the extent that a lot of guys left and went home on Saturday. There has been a lot of dissatisfaction with the traffic department since the weekend so the Mac's and the West Coast Motorcycle Association are going to have discussions with them. Velddrif businesses such as other pubs, bottle stores, general dealers and accommodation venues lost potential and much needed revenue due to their heavy handed actions. It will be interesting to see what develops from this.

So, where to go for breakfast? A discussion ensued during which Metjie suggested the West Coast Farm Stall on the R27, about half way to Capetown. It had been a long time since we had been there, some good reports and some bad had been heard but we agreed to give it a go and so it was that we roared off in staggered formation down the R27 instead of up it. Ten bikes makes up a nice group and in fact there were quite a lot of bikes on the road that morning, lots on their way home from Velddrif it appeared.

It was pleasant cruise, no hurry and I led the group into a convenient layby about halfway to our destination for the obligatory "tea break" stop,











and then disaster!  Everyone was standing around looking at me, I still didn't catch on until Murray asked me "Where's the tea?", I was supposed to have brought the tea this time, I really didn't remember - old age creeping in! This is going to cost me. Anton had my back, he stepped in and passed his flask around so we could all sip some fine old Brandy,

Murray has a sip, Floors looks worried
Gerda has a taste while Kathy recovers from hers.

 Once we had depleted Anton's flask we saddled up for the rest of the ride, only about ten minutes but it was a very mild day, lovely to be out on the bikes although Sampie was having a bit of trouble with his bike misfiring.












The outside dining area behind the West Coast Farm Stall  is very pleasant, shady with big round tables made from old cable drums, these have also been cleverly used for shade and have been artistically decorated, altogether a very comfortable and rustic atmosphere.
Everyone seemed happy with their food choices, certainly the service was good and the prices are very reasonable. I saw that one of my favourites; "offal potjie" was on the menu so I ordered that and was very pleased with my choice even if it was a bit "too clean" for my taste.
Slightly curried
The stomach lining with the brains











Let me explain; they take the stomach lining and make a small bag or pouch out of it into which goes the brains and other small tasty morsels which would otherwise be lost in the "stew". Finding this in your pot is akin to winning the lottery! My meal was only R120 and I will certainly be back for more. Well done Metjie for an inspired choice.

After a very pleasant morning and a beer or two we set off back up the R27, Sampie's bike was running very rough by then and in the true biker spirit Metjie and Johan stayed back with him to make sure that he and Kathy got home alright. We had an Absloute Bloody Final in Langebaan after which I dropped Janet at home and went with Murray to the Captain's Cabin. It had been a good day.

No comments: