Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, February 11, 2019

We visit the Megaforce brotherhood for their front patch party

It has been a busy biking weekend again, the heat has subsided a bit but now the wind has started blowing gale force as it can here on the west coast, I'm not sure what I prefer, I love a bit of a breeze but when the wind buffets you and blows you into riding at an angle it's not so great - we can't always have perfect weather I suppose.

It has been a busy weekend and it has also been a great weekend, starting with a good few games of pool on Friday afternoon at my favourite pub; the Phoenix biker bar. Then on Saturday morning I went to a demo day at the Suzuki dealership in Vredenburg  where the guys queued up to ride the new Hyabusa, the new GSXR and a couple of smaller machines. I was asked if I wanted to take the 'busa out but I'm afraid I would not be able to do that bike justice, I'm not that kind of rider anymore, I'm more sedate which I suppose comes with advancing age! The demo day was well attended and I hope for their sake that it results in a few sales!
Nice looking bike, that Hyabusa.
 From there, later in the day I went through to Oliphantskop in Langebaan with Murray and Sampie to attend the Megaforce "front patch" party. This was where the wind really hit us, the ride out was actually quite unpleasant, luckily it is only a short ride and soon we were safely ensconced in the comfort and shelter of the bar with cold beverage in hand. "Weskus Kallie" was entertaining the crowd with his Country-style renditions of popular Afrikaans songs and then it was time for Megaforce.

The Megaforce brotherhood is a great bunch of guys and ladies, they are national and have been wearing "South coast" patches but they have complied with the local association which had a moratorium on new clubs and had not been permitted to "Patch up" in the Western Cape for a prescribed period which ends in May, now they have qualified to wear the small breast patch on the front and the big party for the back patch will be in later on.
If the way the front patch party went is anything to go by then the next one is not to be missed! The club spirit and camaraderie displayed at this function was inspiring and I'm definitely going to attend the next one. This club has already attracted a lot of younger members and I see them becoming a force to be reckoned with in the western cape.
They always begin proceedings with a prayer
 
 Club President Petrus, flanked by his Sergeant at Arms on the left and his Vice President, Romano on the right then addressed the crowd and the members' cuts with the new "West Coast" breast patch were handed out.
Justly proud 

Everyone had a "straffdop"
V.P. dons his cut













Megaforce is one of those clubs that exemplifies the brotherhood of biking.
Part of the crowd
Their ladies are also patched












There was a brief address by Dennis, chairman of the Westcoast Motorcycle Association and from there part of the crowd moved outside, Weskus Kallie resumed his music.
Megaforce have made Oliphantskop their "home" and have a very nice dedicated Club room, the outside facilities are also very pleasant, it's an ideal biker friendly location - why didn't I think of that?
(left) Wayne and Sampie
At Victorian Times pub












After a very pleasant afternoon the three of us headed home, with a brief stop at the "Victorian Times" pub in Saldanha, the wind had subsided a bit but I think it's going to keep blowing for a few days, that's what it's like here on the Cape west coast.
I said goodbye to my brothers and rode home, just around the corner. That was Saturday and there was more biking on Sunday; biker church and a breakfast but more about that later.

No comments: