Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, August 9, 2018

10th annual Polar Bear run - Part two; the party

We all arrived safely, albeit at different times at the Porterville Hotel and claimed our beds for the night or part thereof. I dumped my stuff on my bed and changed into a comfortable pair of shoes and headed for the bar which was already doing a roaring trade.
Eduardo thrust a tequila into my hand as I got to the bar, "Come on, you gotta get started!" I hate tequila but I took a cement pill, hardened up and drank it down. From then on I made sure I moved away from anyone else buying tequila! The party had started though.
Shaun (centre) shirt says it all








The bar did a roaring trade












 Although we pretty much took over there were some local civilians in the bar too, one couple I knew from when they lived and worked in Riebeek Kasteel and Shaun had taken along a collection of mock guitars that he makes for sale. The DJ was playing some good old rock music and it wasn't long before we got into the "air guitar" thing, only better because there was something to play.

Get Down with your bad self!










We were provided with excellent steaks which we braaied for ourselves and sides of potatoes and salads etc., an excellent and very welcome meal.
Uncle Frank with Drunken Duncan
The party raged on through the night and into the early hours, eventually we were asked to leave the bar but I cannot remember what time that was, I stumbled to my room perchance to sleep if only for a couple of hours.
I made my way through to the dining room the next morning and Frank was still asleep in the foyer!
 I looked and felt pretty rough the next morning but a couple of cups of coffee and a hearty breakfast soon had me up and about. We hung around for a bit chatting but soon it was time to head home, it was only an hour for me but it was very cold that morning and I got rained on between Piketburg and Velddrif. That did not deter me from enjoying the ride and I arrived home around 11h00, tired but happy.
Thanks to Greg and the organisers of another successful fun run, thanks also to the management and staff of the Porterville Hotel for the excellent facilities, they have kept their price the same for a while now and I am confident that the bikers will continue to support them.
Now some recovery time!

No comments: