Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Sunday, July 8, 2018

Another bike trip in a cage, for a good cause

Saturday dawned clear and calm, a sunny day in the middle of winter and I would have to do another bike trip by car! I had been forwarded an email by a friend concerning a children's foster care home in Lambert's Bay, according to the letter it was a serious need for assistance. I put it to the club and the members sprang into action.
We already had quite a large collection of new blankets and some toiletries donated by club members  which we could give and when I discussed this at the Phoenix bar even the non-biking patrons joined in with cash donations, another offered help with the lady's car which was in need of repair/service which she couldn't afford.
We met at the BP garage in Vredenburg, those that could would ride along and we were to meet up with Daan and Bev who had already gone to a rally in Lambert's Bay.
 I had quite a load in my bakkie and then Johan (Cactus Jack) arrived with a whole lot more bulk foodstuffs, he was working so couldn't go with, good man.
Only two bikes on the run, Willie and Sampie and Kathy. Adrie and Stefanie arrived with their bakkie, we could also have gone by bike had I known they were coming, ah well too late now, we set off.











It was a pleasant drive, I envied the guys on their bikes though. As usual the road to Eland's Bay is in a very bad condition, lots of potholes caused by the large number of heavy vehicles using the road, one must take care along there but I was, on the other hand very impressed with the new tar stretch that approaches Lambert's Bay from the south, this always used to be a rather bad dirt road, this has cut the traveling time to Lambert's Bay by a lot. I look forward to riding my bike there next time.
We found the "Cool Kidz" place of safety easily enough and met the ladies involved. Tanya introduced us to the children currently in their care and gave us a run down of the difficulties they face on a daily basis.
 Tanya is a very caring and passionate lady and quite obviously loves the children in her care, she told us that children can be brought to her at any time of the day or night, usually by the police, and they are always children with dire problems, often related to parents abuse of alcohol or drugs. Over the years she has cared for as many as 64 children and was moved to tears when telling us of some of those she cared for. Some of our group were also tearing up, not me though, I'm a big tough biker! (he said, surreptitiously wiping a tear.)
Both of the lovely children in this picture, who's identities we were asked to protect, were suffering from serious health problems. Now these ladies have been told that the small home that they have been renting is needed from November and they have to find another, that is not so easy in a small town like Lambert's Bay.
It's hard to comprehend how wonderful people like this battle on, providing loving care for children with health or mental issues, at the expense of their own private lives. In fact they have no private lives, Tanya shares her bedroom with two of the children!
We handed over our collection of new blankets, bulk foodstuffs, toiletries, detergents and a small amount of cash which seemed inadequate given the circumstances but for which the ladies were extremely grateful. I am confident that Tanya and the "Cool Kidz" place of safety will become one of our regular beneficiaries from now on.
 We went to "Isabella's" restaurant for lunch, Adrie took Tanya's young biological son, who also lives with them, along. I had a lovely fresh "Hottentot" fish, I was so hungry that I forgot to take a photo but I will have to have it again, it was delicious. 
Isabella's is a very popular restaurant in Lambert's Bay, situated right on the edge of the picturesque harbour it is frequented often by bikers and because there was a rally nearby there were a lot of bikes parked outside.
Homeward bound, it had been a lovely day, a "feel good" day and as usual the bikers had given freely. I continue to be amazed and proud of the way bikers give to charity, you've heard me say this before and you'll hear me again; no other group, club or society gives to those in need like bikers do.
I'm proud to be a biker and I'm proud of the club.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic effort by all involved. Keep up the good work

the rider said...

Thank you for the kind words friend.