Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Gypsy Jokers damn party, a good one.

Last Saturday saw the Gypsy Jokers' "damn" party at Eduardo and Anna's Phoenix Bar in Vredenburg, hopefully it was the prelude to the opening of the bar. It was a sunny and clear day but there was an icy bite to the wind that kept most of the revellers inside the pub.
I arrived at about 15h30 and the party was well under way.
 The usual scene at a biker jol, the acrid smell of tyre smoke and people gathered to watch the demise of a rear tyre, a potential thousand kilometres of riding wiped out in a minute or so but somehow very entertaining to watch.
 As always the local clubs were well represented, here including the infamous "Kreefsmokelaars" and the "Mohicans", Frank and I represented the "Meeulanders".
This is Anton of the Mohicans, avoid him at a rally or day jol because he is the "shots man"! I had to drink a concoction that was served up in two small glasses, the first of which made my eyes water and the second went straight to my head - Bad news!
Hardy souls were busy setting up their tents for the long haul.
 A particularly good aspect of rallies and jols in this country is that they attract both young and old bikers and all party together.
 I was pleased to see my favourite young barmaid again.
The host club was well represented with members riding in from far afield, it was building up to be a great party but unfortunately I could not stay long, I had a very important family commitment the following morning and I did not want to be hung-over.
I had one rather unpleasant episode where one brother (not a member of any of the clubs I have mentioned here) reacted vociferously and angrily to me taking a photo of him so I deleted it, my fault though I should probably have asked first. Being a biker blogger can have it's dangerous moments! I know the bro., and have seen him at many biker events so no doubt I'll see him again and we'll be fine.
I know it turned out to be a good party because Frank phoned me after just having left mid afternoon on Sunday! My old biker buddy sure knows how to party.
I'm not sure if there is anything else on for me until the end of October when we will be going to the Beaver Rally in Montagu, that was an excellent one last year and I'm looking forward to that.
Next weekend sees the eighth annual "Polar Bear Run" which I will not be attending because my family is here on holiday, they are going back to the Hotel in Porterville and I wish them all a successful and safe jol.
Keep the shiny side up brothers and sisters and we'll talk again soon.

No comments: