Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bad weather blues and a unicycle

It has been a whole month since my last missive! I think this is the first time that I have neglected this blog for such a long time but nothing has happened! We're well into our winter now and the weather has been really crap, admittedly there have been some lovely days and we have taken the bike out for a local cruise mostly just to blow the cobwebs out of the zorst pipe, but nothing to write home about.
Although I suppose it can be said that any ride on the motorbike is worth a write up, it is certainly something to celebrate and one can't help wondering just how much longer a motorbike is going to be a transport option as we advance towards the "Golden years". Having said that though, I draw consolation from the fact that my biking buddy Frank is ten years older than me and still going strong.
But I digress, I was talking about the weather and because it has been so miserable there have also been no braais, on the positive side though I have consumed a fair amount of beer so all is not lost!

I am well into the planning for the the sixth annual Polar Bear run which is to take place next Saturday 27th July, and I must confess that I am hoping that the weather will again be as good as it has been on each of the previous runs. We will be gathering at the Engen One Stop on the R27 this year and I am looking forward to a party of note again, rest assured I will write all about it.

And now for something completely different; my son in law sent me an article on the "Electric Unicycle", the "Ryno" and I found this extremely interesting;
This amazing looking machine uses accelerometers and gyros to accelerate and brake and to stay balanced, it claims a 20mph top speed and a range of 20 miles on its lithium iron phosphate battery and according to the website was scheduled for release in early 2013 at a price of USD4500! 
I want one! I can just imagine arriving at a rally on one of these, obviously I would have to transport it to within a few miles of the rally site but it would certainly grab attention.
"Unlike the Segway" says Christopher Hoffman who heads the Portland, Oregon based outfit, his creation is "very gentle and responsive and feels like a part of your body."
I have family living in Portland, Oregon - maybe they can get one for me?
We'll speak again soon, with photos of the bikers misbehaving on the Polar Bear run - stay safe.

No comments: