Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Buffalo Rally

This is the tee shirt emblem from the last rally that I attended; the iconic Buffalo Rally in 2011. I cannot believe that I have not been to a single rally since March 2011! It's hard to put my finger on the reason for this sad state of affairs; Sickness? Nah, strong like a lion me! Lack of funds? Nah, money is no object! (well actually it is a bit of an object, but that's not the reason), lack of commitment? Nah, I'm biker scum! So what is it then? 
One of the rallies that we always used to attend, the "Slangkop Rally" closed down so we lost out on that one and I remember that I missed out on the "Freedom Road" last year because of work commitments - can you believe it?!
Anyway whatever has happened is past, I am going to the Buffalo Rally in March this year,  the weekend of the 22nd to the 24th to be precise and I am planning to leave on Friday morning at sparrow-fart for the 500km ride.
I must confess that after the 2011 rally I did declare that I wasn't going to attend another "Buff." because it was just too crowded and impersonal, there was absolutely nowhere to sit, either in the main tent or outside any of the myriad food stalls but I definitely feel drawn to attend this next one and in fact I have already paid my entry, the Meeulanders are leaving early on the Thursday which this year is a public holiday and they are going to set up a camp site, I will arrive early afternoon Friday and I have been assured that there will be a spot for my tent.
This is one of the main reasons why I want to go to this years's Buff., I was at the 1983 Buffalo Rally in Port Elizabeth and I want the new badge on my jacket next to this one - thirty years down the line!
As we all know, the best part of any rally is the ride there and the ride home afterwards but a great deal of pleasure is derived from meeting and greeting old friends and making new ones, I'm already looking forward to this one! Just over a month to go, I'll tell you all about it.

No comments: