Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Winter ramblings

In my last post I stated quite categorically that winter is here and what happens? Today was a fantastic summer day! I should have been out riding instead of having to work, I know I have said that I have a great job which I really enjoy, second only to Hugh Heffner who I think must have an awesome job, but I still would rather have been out on the road.
We have been invited to take part in a blanket run for the local poor and needy on Sunday by the West Coast Motorcycle Association, the same group that organizes the annual "Bikers against Drugs" runs, so I will let you know how that goes, we have to go out and buy a couple of blankets. I'm looking forward to that one as we haven't had a group ride for quite a while and the West coast bikers are a great bunch of people. I know, I know - this blog is called "Braais, beers and bikes" but I thought that some of you might be interested in my work as well! This was the scene early this morning as we arrived on the farm, we have a beautiful full moon out and the water was calm and flat, absolutely beautiful and I couldn't resist sharing it. This was the scene about an hour later as the sun rose and lit up the windows in the town with a bright golden glow, I can't believe that most people are asleep while all of this sort of thing is going on! I spend six hours every day, (Monday to Friday) from 0630 to 1230 out on the water and most of the time I enjoy it, our winter is not all that harsh and it is mostly just the rain that makes it pretty uncomfortable, it is also a relatively short winter from mid to late June through to the end of August and even during that time we have beautiful days when we can go riding, so I mustn't complain too much.
Tuesday next week is a public holiday so, weather permitting, I am going to plan a ride out for the day, maybe we will leave Monday evening and find a B&B for a sleep over, we'll keep you informed in the meantime let me leave you with this quote;
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin.


2 comments:

Tony said...

Great pictures. I've enjoyed checking out your blog, I tend to ride dirt more but there is definitley nothing like getting on the bike:)
Blazeofgloryoffroad.com

the rider said...

Thanks Tony, welcome - and you are right; biking rules!