Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Breakfast run by car, at least we got together!

Sunday 1st July was our regular breakfast run day and the forecast was bleak; strong wind, low temperature and rain. I pride myself on the fact that I am a biker and if you ride a bike you are going to get caught in the rain out on the open road, this has happened often and we take it in our stride but to cold-bloodedly set off in the morning in pouring rain? Sometimes not necessary and Janet made it clear; "If you're going to breakfast on the bike I'm not going with you."
This became my excuse for "caging it" and I was glad of it. We had discussed the run at the previous weeks club meeting and most had said that they would go by car, we thus decided to meet at Juffroshoogte and have breakfast there.
Eighteen of us met at 10h00 and three were on bikes; Willie, Daan and Bev., they made me feel a bit guilty but as far as I'm concerned, guilt is a wasted emotion and it didn't take long at all for that feeling to pass, especially when I looked through the window at the rain lashing down.
The restaurant bar was not open when we got there but Johan had our "tea" so we decided to have it there, this is a breakfast run tradition.
Gerda pours the warming libation
Bev serves while the bikers queue












I got a "slap on the wrist" from the management for this, not allowed to bring your drinks into the restaurant before bar time but we spent over R4,000 there, I don't think they were too worried about it, however duly noted.
We spent a good couple of hours there and it turned into a very pleasant get together, some opted for breakfast while others like us waited until 11h00 to order from the lunch menu and to have a drink when the bar opened.
Elsje and Daan
Uncle Frank taking orders?












They organised a long table for all of us and the conversation ebbed and flowed, the drinks were good, the food was good value and the company was of the best.





















Bev took the camera to get a photo of Janet and myself, I always take photos but hardly ever appear in any unless Gerrie is with us but he wasn't able to come this time.
This is the "Moerse Burger" (Moerse being a colloquial term for very big, which it certainly is) and it is a delicious bargain at R95 - I haven't had it for quite a long time and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The restaurant certainly got busy over the lunch period, it is a popular place and if you haven't been yet I have no hesitation in recommending it to you.
By the time we had all finished the rain had abated and I think the three on bikes had a fairly pleasant ride home. Thanks guys and girls!
It looks like we'll be taking a trip through to Lambert's Bay the coming weekend, the Dragon Fly rally is being held there and we have found a beneficiary for our blankets, I'll tell you all about it.

No comments: