Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, March 29, 2018

Back in sunny South Africa

We're home! An overnight change in temperature from 3 Celsius to 27 took a bit of getting used to and our flight was delayed for four hours. By the time we got home there wasn't much of Sunday left and on Monday we were both pretty useless, didn't do much at all. It didn't take us long to get back into the swing of things though and I went and collected my bike from my friends house.
We have been for one ride around so far, just to get back into how it feels and it felt wonderful. We have also managed to have a couple of braais, a very important part of life here in sunny SA.
 Nothing much has changed politically here it seems, there is still much racial hate speech coming from sectors of the ANC Government and the EFF party but countries like USA and Belgium have taken notice and are making noises about sanctions and withdrawal of financial support and Australia are offering to take in South African farmers. Interesting times ahead, South African farmers are a tough and productive lot and if they went it would be South Africa's loss but definitely Australia's gain and it wouldn't take long before this country went the way of Zimbabwe.
I love Africa, I love South Africa and I want to stay here. I wish for peace and prosperity for all in this beautiful country.

4 comments:

Dan Diego said...

We’ll be visiting friends in Pretoria in a couple of weeks. Won’t be on bikes this time, though.

Sad to see the mess being created for the white farmers by the ANC and other racists. Looking forward to seeing everything for ourselves, but your update was pretty much what I’ve heard.

Ride safe.

the rider said...

Thanks Dan for reading my stuff and for your comment, I hope you enjoy your visit. In spite of what's going on it is still a beautiful country to visit.

Trobairitz said...

Welcome home Andrew! I hope you are recovered from your temperature shock by now.

I am continually surprised at the racism and other issues around the world. Will we ever solve it? I am with you wishing for peace and prosperity.

the rider said...

Thanks Brandy, now to settle into our retirement! It was a temperature shock and now we gradually head towards our winter but it will not be anywhere near as harsh as the one we have just been through.