Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, January 23, 2017

Meeulanders AGM and election

It has been a bit of a hectic time, last week we went right across the country to visit Janet's sister in Richards Bay. Our intention had been to make it into s bike trip, for which purpose Janet took five days leave. Richards Bay is just over 1800 kms from Saldanha via the shortest route so we thought we could take three days to get there, spend two there and then take another three getting back.
I got quite excited making the plans, as always before a long trip I haul out the maps - paper ones, not digital! I plan routes and possible accommodation stops but I do use the computer to check what's in the towns and where the restaurants and pubs are.
Anyway plans were on the go when I heard that the Meeulanders monthly meeting had been brought forward a week, this was to be the AGM and the election for the new President. I had known this but had completely forgotten it. After discussion Janet suggested that we should cancel the bike trip and fly up to Durban on Monday, hire a car and drive to Richards Bay and that way we could be back in time for the meeting. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement!
This was waiting at the Avis rental area at King Shaka airport in Durban when we arrived. That's not what we drove off in though, this was......
There was one consolation, the weather on the Monday was absolutely atrocious, gale force winds and driving rain and that would have been the day we arrived on the bike. We had a nice visit with Janet's sister and family and flew back on Wednesday.
The meeting on Thursday was amazing, all but two of the members were there, one just out of hospital recuperating and one away at work. I had the absolute honour of being elected President for the coming year! I was absolutely amazed, I did not expect it but I accepted with pride and will do my best to maintain the very high standards set by my illustrious predecessor, the late Divi DeVries for whom I had enormous respect.
The first Englishman in the twenty year history of the Club? I think so and it will be easy to check, what were they thinking! Anyway a really big "Thank you!" to the members of the Meeulanders Motorcycle Club for your confidence in me.
There it is, an amazing time and a new chapter serving the Club which in a relatively short time has become such a big part of my life.

No comments: