Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Sunday, November 8, 2015

2015 Beaver rally, the journey and the party

I managed to ride out of Saldanha at around 09h45 on Friday, a clear sunny day with the temperature already in the low twenties, it was going to be a hot day but I had been looking forward to this trip for ages. It is only some 300kms to the little Boland town of Montagu but through some of our best riding country.
Four stop/go's on the R45, two of them stopped me and two let me straight through, no problem I wasn't in any particular hurry - I was enjoying myself.
Just after 11h00 I stopped for an ice cold beer at Du Vlei, so far the ride had been excellent, Mooreesburg through to Riebeek is a good fast road and there was virtually no traffic, more good stuff to come. The R43 which runs from the Nuwekloof Pass right through to the N1 is now an absolute joy for bikers, wide, smooth and undulating through the farmlands you can't help but ride it fast.
I stopped for a burger lunch in Robertson after enjoying one of my favourite roads; that 50km stretch of the R60 from Worcester, what a ride! There were lots of bikers around by then.
I arrived at the rally site somewhere around 15h00 after a thoroughly satisfying day and soon found my companions, they had set up camp in a nice shady and grassy spot and I soon had my tent up.
 Time to start the party, my hosts were already busy and I went off in search of friends new and old, one of the first people I came across was Alan;
wearing the same outfit he wears to every rally, one of the well known characters.
The party raged on into the night, getting more crowded as more and more people arrived.
 On the left Mohicans National first lady and on the right Western Cape chapter first lady, these two were to feature very well in the games the following day.
Beauty and the beast.

A really good band started playing rock and roll favourites, enjoyed by all of us old bikers in particular;

 
 
 
 
Soon it was time to head back to the camp, the bar had closed and the band had packed up, it had been a great evening.

Sometimes I sit and think and sometimes I just sit. The guys lit a fire again and warmed up some of the meat from earlier, by then it was the early hours of Saturday morning and I felt great - I wasn't going to be feeling so great in a few hours time though! Sometimes I'm sensible.
A big thank you to my hosts the Mohicans, what a great bunch of guys and gals they are;
Mohicans maak die jol vol!

No comments: