Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Saturday, October 4, 2014

Lovely lunch at the Oystercatcher restaurant in Langebaan

It was a fantastic day for riding today so we decided to get out and cruise through to Langebaan for some lunch at the Oystercatcher restaurant. We used to go there but for various reasons haven't been back for more than a year, time to give it another go.
I was pleased to discover that Charles, who used to be Chef at Driftwoods is now the owner of the restaurant and the Deli, I parked the big red machine where I could keep an eye on it,
the bikers reading this will know what I am talking about, who needs a sea view when there's a motorbike to look at? We sat and perused the menu while we chatted with Charles. Lots of good looking seafood on offer, I chose a starter of "tubes and tentacles" and Janet opted for a prawn cocktail. Both were absolutely delicious;
the calamari had a perfect texture, neither too soft nor too hard, the tentacles were slightly crispy and definitely not oily as can be the case and the tartare sauce tasted home made, maybe it wasn't but it was certainly very delicately flavoured, creamy with thinly sliced vegetables instead of overly large chunks.
Janet's prawn cocktail was perfect, I know because she let me taste it! Lovely fresh prawns and plenty of them, she declared it to be the best prawn cocktail she's ever had!
That was fresh Yellowtail, and a generous portion, lovely stuff!
Janet's deep fried Hake was also fresh and according to her, delicious but she couldn't finish it, perhaps next time she will have two starters instead of a main, or just skip the starter. I was so full I couldn't finish her meal either but I cleaned my own plate!
The prices are reasonable, we had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and an extra glass of house dry white wine for me, two starters and two mains and with a gratuity for the attentive waitress - I refuse to call her a "waitron" - the bill came to R410, to me that's excellent value at R200 each.
The menu is quite varied, from breakfast through quite a variety of seafood with combos and platters to steaks and burgers, well done Charles, we'll definitely be back and I have no hesitation in recommending the place.
Next time you guys and girls ride out to Langebaan check out the Oystercatcher on the left hand side as you ride in, give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Bikes make the best background to a meal. They aid in digestion don't they?

Looks like a great lunch, great food for a good value, good times.

the rider said...

They certainly do! Nothing better than looking out over a "sea" of gleaming chrome!