Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, January 14, 2013

The Oyster Shack - Wilderness

Happy New Year my friends, may 2013 bring you all that you wish for yourself especially lots of quality, safe two wheeled mileage.
I am on holiday with my family so all of the travelling I am doing at the moment is in a cage but never fear, we will be out on two wheels next week. I am intending to ride through to the dealership on Thursday to investigate the possibility of upgrading, I will obviously let you know how that goes.
During our recent travels we happened upon a unique restaurant and as is my custom I am moved to tell you all about it, so that should you be riding through the same glorious area, you may experience it for yourself.
The area I am referring to is the Garden route, specifically a picturesque spot known as "Timberlake" which is exactly 10 kilometers north of Wilderness, it is home to a variety of small buildings housing cheese, wine, arts and crafts vendors a coffee shop and a restaurant as well as some adventure areas for children and adults. It was there that we found the "Oyster Shack".
The friendly owner, Dominic welcomed us and when I ordered a dozen of the fresh rock oysters as a starter he offered to put some extra aside for us as his stocks were running low - sea conditions were a bit rough for his diver to go out.
 The Oyster Shack is a casual open-air, wooden-bench, feet in the sand place with a great deal of rustic charm, I loved it and felt very comfortable there.
We ordered our beers and a bottle of wine and relaxed while Dominic opened our oysters, R10 each for fresh wild rock oysters which I thought was very reasonable, I paid R15 each a while ago at the Breede River Lodge.
They were delicious and obviously fresh, only three of us were eating them but I ordered another six from Dominic's dwindling stash. We ordered our main courses from the blackboards on the walls of the wooden building, assisted by the very friendly young waitress, (I hate the word "Waitron" - it sounds like a machine, which she definitely wasn't!)
Mine was a lovely big portion of fresh Yellowtail accompanied by a potato salad and a particularly tasty green salad - very, very nice indeed.
My son and my daughter had prawns which they enjoyed, there is a limited offering for non fish eaters and our friend did not particularly enjoy her spare ribs but for six out of our group of seven it was a big thumbs up.
The bill came to an amazingly reasonable R1,100 including the gratuity which for seven people equates to about R157 per person. Whilst we were enjoying our meal we were serenaded by a beautiful young lady guitarist with an equally beautiful voice, I'll be back - soon I hope and I have no hesitation in recommending the Oyster Shack to you, next time you're cruising along the Garden Route call 0448821120 and tell Dominic I sent you.

I'm going to end this item with some interesting news; You will all no doubt be aware that Valentino Rossi is going to be back riding for Yamaha on the YZR-M1 this season, I'm looking forward to that!
Also the informative and authoritative magazine "Cycle World" have just posted the ten best bikes of 2012, among them; Best Sport Touring - BMW K1600GT, Best Touring - BMW K1600GTL and of special interest to my friend and fellow blogger George; Best Adventure - Yamaha Super Tenere, great stuff indeed.

No comments: