Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Des Pistorius - update

If you have been reading my stuff I thank you, from the page views and the visitors log it seems as though there are quite a few people reading this and I hope you are enjoying reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. Anyway, as I was saying; if you have been reading my stuff you will have read about the South African biking icon; Des Pistorius who passed through our area on the 8th of April.
We met up at the Phoenix bar, that famous biker bar in Vredenburg, and I had a long chat with Des, a long time biker of whom I have read a great deal but had not until then had the pleasure of meeting.
He was part of the way through an "Around South Africa trip" on a Vespa towing a trailer! It was fascinating chatting with Des who was accompanied by his faithful side-kick, Boswell the poodle and the next day he was continuing his trip.
I have just received this picture from Des with the message that he had completed his trip, 8469kms!
I had to enlarge the photo so it is a bit blurred, but there is Des and Boswell with the Vespa and trailer rig somewhere up on the West Coast and I hope that I can get some more details of the trip at a later stage.
It must have been one hell of a trip at no more than 80kmh but as he said at the time; "I've got all the time in the world." Keep on riding Des!


4 comments:

Fiddle Mike said...

You got to admire serious scooter riders. I hope you'll do a follow-up with Des, he's bound to have stories.

the rider said...

Yes Mike I'm sure he has, I'll try and contact him for an interview.

BeemerGirl said...

I wouldn't have thought of a trailer behind a Vespa. But it appears quite in proportion to the scooter.

What a great adventure and hope to hear more.

the rider said...

Hi Lori, I also would not have thought that a very good combination either but he seemed to do quite well, you'd just have to be patient.