Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Des' Suzuki sidecar rig

On my way home from work yesterday afternoon my attention was caught by a very neat sidecar rig parked outside "Ancorr" biker bar, I did a "U" turn and went back for a look and found Des inside having a drink, he offered me a beer which I gratefully accepted.
He bought the bike, a 1982 Suzuki GS1000G and the sidecar, a 1980 "Bikemate" which is manufactured in South Africa, separately (from two different people) and spent about a year refurbishing both and putting them together.
The result is a very nice looking rig which he has just started using for local rides, getting used to the handling.
As you can see the sidecar is a two seater, two nicely upholstered seats and obviously if you only have one passenger then there is some luggage space.
Des (who incidentally is the organiser of our hugely popular and successful annual "Polar Bear run") is a keen biker, he has a fairly new BMW, a very nice 1983 Honda Goldwing as well as a small scrambler and I am sure we will be seeing quite a lot of this Suzuki sidecar rig on local rides.
I heard from my friend Dick that he saw the new BMW K1600 speeding around the Western Cape the other day, apparently foreign and local journalists are getting a preview of this awesome looking bike - can't wait to see it!

No comments: