Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Brotherhood

I managed to get out on the bike very briefly on Sunday afternoon and I headed out along the R27 towards Capetown, about halfway I pulled over into a shady laybye and just relaxed for a bit. I was alone but I knew that the "Meeulanders" were on their way back from a breakfast run so I thought I would wait for them. This photo gives you quite a good idea of what the West Coast area is like, it is almost semi desert and very dry in the summer time. Also as I have already mentioned the road is boringly long and straight for almost the whole hour.
While I was waiting I took this photo, one of many before I got it right, which I think should be titled "Man, machine - Moment!" I mean, how cool is that?!
I sat for a while just enjoying the solitude and then I rode back to Saldanha to pick Janet up and we rode through to the Phoenix bar for a beer or two just to end the weekend off.
Today - Wednesday - we had Frank over for dinner and this was our starter; fresh west coast oysters. Janet prepared a lovely dinner of roasted chicken and vegetables and because we are on a diet, Frank had to do without potatoes and gravy but he still enjoyed the meal - apparently.
We discussed the upcoming Freedom Road rally and I was really happy to hear from Frank that he was going to wait for me to finish work and then ride with me, I was quite prepared to ride alone whenever I could get finished but that is brotherhood. He told the other guys that we always ride together and they should leave when they are ready and we will see them there.
Frank is my biking brother and hopefully we will be together next year for the Sturgis experience.
I feel so .........what? Happy, yes definitely - I didn't expect that, what else do I feel? Content and excited, we discussed the areas where we can exceed the speed limits because we need to get there in time to join the party, it's going to be a jol - trust me!
Thursday I will be packing the bike for the ride on Friday, I am really looking forward to this coming weekend and I will let you know all about it.

4 comments:

Nancy Frye-Swope said...

Hi there Andrew,

I stopped by to look at more pictures and catch your next adventure, but I also want to let you know that I've left you an award on my weblog. Let me know if you have any problems picking it up.

I appreciate the way you tell it like it is.

The Retired Biker Housewife

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll follow your MC blog if you follow my MC blog!
Become a follower : http://onelightcoming.blogspot.com

Motor-head Lady said...

Hey..I stumbled across your blog, great photo's and post! I'll be back :-)
MHL

the rider said...

Nancy thank you very much! I will certainly follow up on that award, that is amazing!

Greybeardrider - thanks Bro, you're on!

Motorhead lady, thank you I will visit your blog too.