Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yellowtail for dinner

Today I bought a lovely fresh fillet of Yellowtail (Seriola lalandi) and I phoned Janet at work and told her that I was doing dinner, as I anticipated she was underwhelmed but I didn't take that as a "No!", I persisted telling her that I was doing it for her health and eventually she gave in and said "Oh very well, I suppose it will be alright." I, on the otherhand, was excited and really looking forward to the meal.
First take a pair of sterilised pliers, not just any old pair out of the garage, and pull all of the bones out of the fillet; (Joe doesn't bother to do this when he cooks fish but I think it's essential.)Then heat up a pan with a splash of olive oil and a good pat of butter and when the oil is hot place the fish in flesh side down and brown it, turn it over and brown the skin side and in the meantime have the oven heating up at 190 degrees.
When the oven is hot enough place the fish into a baking tray in the oven and turn it down to 180, now is the time to make the sauce - pour off the excess oil, turn the stove plate down to about number 4 and pour in about half a cup of good whisky and remember if it's not good enough to drink then it's not good enough to cook with, don't use cheap whisky........life's too short for cheap whisky.
Now de-glaze the pan with the whisky, stir it around scraping all of the bits from the pan and let the whisky reduce as it simmers for a couple of minutes and then pour in about 125mls of fresh cream, let this bubble and thicken, add salt to taste and a sprinkle of mixed herbs. The sauce will reduce to about half and should be nice and thick by the time you pour it over the fish, Janet did some lovely garlic potatoes and some peas and we had a really good meal, better than some restaurants that we have been to, that's for sure;
Does that look good or what? What I didn't mention here is that you should always have a beer or a glass of a nice Sauvignon Blanc close to hand while you are doing all of this, keep sipping while you are busy because it's thirsty work - enjoy, and soon I'll talk about biking again.
Warning: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.

No comments: