Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, July 9, 2019

I'm ba-ack, after a great overseas holiday

We're back in South Africa, back to the cold weather of the western cape winter and to the negative news about ongoing political upheaval in this beautiful country, the ongoing farm murders and the hatred being spewed out on social media and news sites. I love this country but I worry about where it is headed. But enough of this negativity for now!

Firstly I wish to apologize for the long gap in posts, I had fully intended posting while overseas but for various reasons including eating, drinking and making merry I never got around to it.

I have already done some riding, I missed my motorbike while I was away, particularly because it is a beautiful summer over in the UK and there are plenty of bikes to be seen, groups of riders winding their way through the fantastic country roads and lanes, parked outside pubs and coffee shops,
or lined up in restaurant car parks as seen here at one of the hillside viewpoints.
But I think I will tell you about my rides here first and then go back to some stories and pictures from our travels;

We arrived home late on Thursday last week, Janet spent Friday at home and I went to the Phoenix bar to see my friends and to play some pool, and what do you think happened there?!

Anna and Eduardo and Tequila, that's what happened!

Ok Anna also made a second shot out of some other, and in my opinion more palatable liqueur, which was sprinkled with pepper, Aromat and some chili sauce and which was delicious!

I played some pool, not much but I had a great time.

I'm smiling but that's tequila, with Eduardo and Murray.

Saturday was a sad occasion in the morning, it was a cold and grey morning which was somehow appropriate as we were taking part in a memorial mass ride to honour Bettina, wife of the Megaforce vice President, who had recently passed away. I did not know her well but I had had the privilege of meeting her at the recent Megaforce back patch party, about which I wrote earlier. She was a lovely lady, well loved and respected by those who knew her and I know she will be sorely missed.

We took part in a mass ride from Langebaan to the Lighuis church in Vredenburg where the memorial was conducted, attended by many bikers as well as friends and family.
Megaforce members raise helmets up and rev their engines, may her dear soul rest in peace.

From there I rode through to Velddrif with Heine, Willie and Antoinette to have a look at the Berg River carnival which is held to coincide with the end of the Berg river canoe marathon. It was a pleasant ride, though still cold, my temperature readout was 15 Celsius.
The carnival was bustling with revelers crowding the stalls, particularly those selling food, I was hungry but the food queues were daunting.
This person was braaing fresh local "harders" (mullet) which were making my mouth water,
and these were doing "roosterkook", a bread roll browned over the coals, local delicacies - I wandered off in search of cold beer and found other like-minded bikers with whom I could chat, but the amber liquid although refreshing, did not quell the persistent hunger pangs.
The wind seemed to be freshening up, even colder and I decided to call it a day. I would eat at home. The ride through to Vredenburg and then Saldanha was lovely in spite of the cold and even after standing (with a trickle charger) for nearly two months the bike was performing well. 
Tomorrow our scheduled club breakfast run, we would see what the weather brings, maybe I will be able to get Janet out of bed for that one!

No comments: