Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, May 20, 2019

Ninth Book Club meeting, pool and Tequila at the Phoenix bar.

It's definitely getting colder here! Winter's on it's way and although we can ride in winter, the weather doesn't get that bad but we have winter rain so it can get pretty miserable. You have to choose your days.
These are the worthy bikers who assembled for the ninth running of the Book Club last Wednesday, from left; Anton, Willie, Murray and myself. Daan was away up country, Johan was off sick and Sooi could not make it but as we have always said; it doesn't matter how many attend as long as we ride.
We enjoyed a drink and a chat at the Phoenix bar as usual and then saddled up to ride through to the Beach Club in Saldanha.
This is an attractive venue right on the beach and I wanted to discuss the September Dart run with the owner, we plan to use the venue as one of the stops on the run.











After a short break at the Beach Club we rode through to Saint Helena Bay, to the Cove Hotel which is planned as the end venue on the Dart run this year. From this you will be able to see that the book club is not just a drinking run, but that we also conduct our business during the course of the run.

We had a very pleasant afternoon, I left ahead of Murray who was still busy chatting to Anton and had a thoroughly enjoyable ride home. As I blasted away from the traffic lights at the Weskus Mall I noticed blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror, they were quite far behind me and were probably not chasing me but I fancied that they might be. 
"If they are chasing me that means that they did not get my number." I reasoned so I decided not to hang around and find out and increased my speed through the home-going traffic on the double lane road. That was an exhilarating ride! I left the blue lights far behind, as I said they may not have been after me, I was just having a bit of fun.

My favourite pub, you hear about it often in these stories, will be hosting a birthday party for me and Frank and our combined ages will be 148 years! Can you believe it?  Those of you who can make it, pop in and visit, give us a kiss and have a drink with us. It should be fun.

Janet and I are going over to the UK for just over six weeks on Tuesday so there may be a few gaps in posts here on the blog. We will certainly braai and we will drink beers but I doubt that there will be much concerning motorbikes although you never know. I will still post from over there though so stay with me.
Talking about the Phoenix bar, I went there as usual on Friday afternoon to play pool with my mates and the place was quite crowded. I enjoyed a good few games and a couple of drinks and then I got a shouted summons from Anna the owner, "You are leaving soon, you have to have a drink with us!" and a tequila shot was thrust into my hand.
From previous occasions they know that I hate tequila! There's no getting away from it though, take it like a man! Not long after that I had to have another with Eduardo and Christopher, I returned muttering obscenities to the pool table. "Guys, how the hell am I going to get out of here?" I pleaded but there was no sympathy for my plight.

Soon it was time to head home, I gathered my stuff, said goodbye to my buds and headed for the door at a brisk pace, unfortunately you have to go past the bar to get out and as I drew near I heard; "Hey Pussy, come here!"  You guessed it, another Tequila!  That party is going to be a serious "jol" and I will definitely claim one of the bunks that Eduardo has for visiting bikers.

You can easily understand why the place is my favourite, most of the customers are bikers although it is not limited to bikers, the owners are bikers and it is the home of the local Gypsy Jokers chapter, a great bunch of guys. If you have not visited it yet, make a point of doing so, I promise you will not be disappointed.

Cheers for now, the next post will be from the UK and they are heading for summer! I will miss my biking friends though.

No comments: