Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Saturday, January 19, 2019

First Book Club meeting for the new year

It's hot here in South Africa at the moment, middle of summer and January/ February are usually the worst especially if you head inland away from the coast. On a previous ride near Tulbagh I have seen 45 Celsius, that's way too hot for me so for the time being we stay close to the sea.

I put a message out on the Whatsapp group that it was time for a Book Club meet and that we should gather at the Phoenix. There followed a bit of banter from some of our lady members, my own wife pretty much started it;
"Igi" is Janet's nickname














Antoinette asks "I thought the book club is a guy thing?" to which her husband Willie replied "You are right!!!!"
Adrie claims Discrimination!














I hasten to add that there are no rules for book club but what I did say initially was that anyone taking part in the club is not allowed to say things like;
~ "You're not having another book are you? You've had three already."
~ "Hurry up and finish your book, I want to go home."
~ "You're talking rubbish."
Anyway it turned out to be just banter, our ladies know that the guys need to get away for a couple of hours and talk kak with their mates.

 Anton couldn't make this one, Murray was on his third run and received his club badge. From the Phoenix bar we rode through to Velddrif and to the shady beer garden at the Laaiplek Hotel, a very pleasant spot right on the banks of the Berg river.
I posted this photo on my "Braais, beers and bikes" facebook site with the comment; "There's no discrimination, a Yamaha with three BMs" to which my brother Gerrie added his comment; "Yip, the Yamaha doesn't mind!" - he's a Yamaha man. (if you're on facebook consider having a look at my page why dontcha?)
From there a short hop to "Die Visflekhuis"
"Tots" and Drunken Duncan were there.











"Another book?"
We sat outside where it was cooler












"Tots" is a regular reader of my blog and asked me "Are you on one of your Book Club runs?"  It's becoming well known now.
Our next, and last stop for the day was at "Die Vishuis" restaurant on Velddrif's well known "Bokkomlaan",  an area on the banks of the river visited by tourists. It was quiet that afternoon but we sat on the restaurant veranda with our last book.
 The view of the river is lovely and there are charters available to cruise up and down either further inland or towards the river mouth and nearby Port Owen.











The restaurant is under new management and the menu looks interesting, worth a visit later. We sat and chatted and the next time I looked at my watch it was 17h30, time flies when you're having fun.
I thoroughly enjoyed the ride home in the early evening, it was still warm and calm and my bike was running beautifully after a service by Suzuki Vredenburg, it's great being a biker. Now I want to ride some more.
Stay safe out there people.

2 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Your weather is to dang hot. Good thing you are close to water.

Book club is a great idea. I routinely turn down riding with the guys so hubby has some guy time with his buddies. Secret to a happy marriage right there. :-)

the rider said...

Hi Brandy, the book club is pretty popular and other people are becoming aware of it now but you are so right, guys just need to get out with other guys and talk crap - it's a well known, scientifically, clinically proven fact! And as you say; the secret to a happy marriage.