Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, November 27, 2017

Saturday braai for two

In between strong southerly winds on Friday when I was riding and strong southerlies forecast for Sunday when the Capetown toy run was being run, Saturday was a very pleasant day. We had nothing arranged so I suggested a braai just for the two of us, Janet jumped at it, she loves sitting at home relaxing in comfortable clothes.
I got my fire going at about 11h00 and while there was still flame I cooked some Skilpaadjies in my cast iron skillet.


These are a much loved South African delicacy, for my overseas readers Skilpaadjies (pr.skill-pie-keys) are made with lamb's liver wrapped in the caul or spleen fat. Some people like to braai them over the coals but I prefer to do them in a pan, less likely to dry them out this way.


They don't take long, I take them off when the liver is still pink and let them rest - delicious with my bottle of Merlot!
Whilst we were enjoying those I sorted out coals for my second part; succulent Karoo lamb ribs. We are lucky here in that although lamb is quite expensive the quality and the flavour influenced by the plants in the Karoo that they feed on makes for extremely good meat.
 


These were excellent! We took a break, a gap after the ribs and in the meantime I had two yellow sweetcorn mielies and a large "hassleback" potato, wrapped in tinfoil cooking on the coals.
We chatted, listened to music, drank wine and just relaxed. We have a busy period coming up; a bike club function, we're also entertaining my club brothers and sisters here at home and then mid December we fly over to the UK so we're busy, it was nice to just chill and discuss things.

Lamb shoulder chops marinated in olive oil, garlic and red wine, I make no apologies for a lamb braai, we love lamb.


The meal, simple basic but oh so good. We're going over to English winter so maybe we'll have another couple of braais here before we go!

4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Sounds like a perfect day to just hang out and enjoy good food and each other's company.

the rider said...

It actually was a very pleasant day and as I said, we'll very soon be going over to UK winter so I had better get a few more in before we go!

Michael said...

Most of the lamb over here( USA) is from New Zealand which is quite good but I still prefer Karoo lamb. You are so correct about what they eat gives that great taste

the rider said...

Thanks for your comment friend, obviously you used to live here? Tasted Karoo lamb.