Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Monday, October 23, 2017

West Coast Motorcycle Association potjiekos competition

Moving on from the sadness as life inevitably does, Saturday saw the previously postponed W.M.A "Potjiekos competition take place at the Beach Club in Saldanha. It was a lovely early summer's day with a light breeze coming in off the sea and there were eventually, I think eight teams which took part. Some took it more seriously than others, erecting themed cooking areas with decorated gazebos while others took a more casual approach but all were there to have fun.
Teams had to bring their own equipment and the main ingredients of their pot, but vegetables were sponsored for all contestants by one of the local suppliers. The official start was at 14h00 with judging taking place from 17h00.
The Beach Club was a very good choice for the venue being well grassed with a lovely view and with a well stocked bar in the clubhouse, good music was supplied by Wayne of the Clique and by mid afternoon there was a good crowd in attendance. Many came for the good food which was dished out after the judging took place.

The Meeulanders were well represented by prospects Sampie and Kathy who prepared a delicious lamb tail and waterblommetjie pot.

Left; the judges had an unenviable task trying to pick a winner. Right; Antoinette and Willie sample Sampie's pot.
 

Left; photographer Gerrie in conversation with Greg and right; Dennis, president of the Clique and chairman of the W.M.A with his son in law who is recovering from a recent motorbike accident.
My friend and dedicated follower of this blog "Tots" enjoying the warm sunshine, whenever we see each other he's after me to "Update the blog!"  - Thanks Tots.

The afternoon progressed as did the team of judges, tasting food, sipping wine and turning down all sorts of attempts at bribery from the various teams, including, it is rumoured one contestant trying to slip a credit card into the lady's bra! 

 After the judging the people could eat and the food was good and plentiful, everyone enjoyed the day. Unfortunately there was one unpleasant incident which took place after I had left, and hopefully when most of the public had left, but this is being dealt with at club level so "No names, no packdrill", we don't need that sort of thing happening here.
My buddy Greg was there, now the organiser of the annual Polar Bear run which I hope to be a part of  from now on.
Here Dennis presents the trophy and R1000 cash prize to Johan of club Undaunted, the winners of the competition. (Photos by Thomas Ashbury)
Second prize, R500 here being presented to the Nimrods president, and
third prize, R300 went to the Highway Pirates. Well done indeed for a well organised and very enjoyable afternoon to the West Coast Motorcycle Association and to all who took part, I am sure this will become a very popular annual event.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I missed out on all the potjies :( Think I was too involved with a certain Captain Morgan!

Trobairitz said...

You always manage to teach me something in your posts. I had to google "waterblommetjie" but I learned something. :-)

the rider said...

Brandy glad to be of service, here in the western cape waterblommetjie is a popular green vegetable addition to usually a lamb stew, perhaps an acquired taste because it tends to be a bit bitter, Janet doesn't like it as much as I do.

Gerrie I think you were too busy as usual taking photos, but you're very good at it. Just remember to let me know when you're taking a photo of me so that I can try to pull my stomach in!