Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Saturday, December 18, 2010

Breede River - day two

This was the view from our room the next morning; sunny and clear although the wind was still blowing pretty strong, however that area is renowned for being windy. We had had a comfortable night but Janet had suffered from a bit of an upset stomach so we decided to spend the day relaxing in Witsand, not a bad thing to do.
I took full advantage of the buffet breakfast that was part of our accommodation deal but Janet was only able to pick at the fruit and a piece of toast. A little later we took a slow cruise around the village and down to the bathing beach, there is a nice little beach bar and restaurant where I had my first beer of the day, Janet had a rock shandy. As you can tell from the pictures it was already pretty windy again.
We got back to the Lodge at about midday and went for a bit of a walk along the river bank, the Breede River Lodge is a very nice place, as is the village but it revolves around fishing and apart from that there is not much else to do - except drink!
So it was inevitable that we would end up back in the bar in the mid afternoon and I could not resist another four of those fabulous wild oysters with my ice cold beer. Not a hell of a lot wrong with my day!
It was a very relaxed day which we both enjoyed, but we both agreed that one day there was definitely enough and we were looking forward to the ride home the next day.
My dinner in the restaurant that night was delicious, I started out with a "Bouillabase du Cap" a delicious spicy seafood soup and a bit later my main course was lovely chunk of fresh Yellow tail. We went back to our room well satisfied, very relaxed and eagerly anticipating the next day's ride.

6 comments:

Geoff James said...

Andrew:
With your excellent photos and fixation on food, I'm beginning to think that you and fellow esteemed blogger Bobscoot were separated at birth :-).

Nothing too wrong with oysters and a beer chaser at all, you lucky fella!

the rider said...

Thanks Geoff, I don't know "Bobscoot" - I'll go and check him out.

Geoff James said...

This is Bob Leong's blog: http://wetcoastscootin.blogspot.com/. He's a great guy and really enjoys his food shots!

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew, great writing man ! every time I catch up on your blog I feel that I am missing out. Being from SA myself(now in OZ) and been riding since 72 I know what you mean with bikers being a great bunch of guys, have recently bought a bike again after being bikeless for a number of years, and it is great.
Regards and you and Janet must carry on enjoying your rides.
George

Unknown said...

Hi again Andrew, have to mention I also miss the cold Castle beverages
and a nice Koos Wye Voete (KWV), both is locally available, but I only treat myself now and then as it is extremely expensive here, so have to settle for the local stuff most of the time.
Regards and I wish you and Janet a Merry Christmas and a prosperous 2011 with many happy and enjoyable miles of riding.

the rider said...

Welcome to my blog Jorge, great to hear from you and I hope you will keep coming back. We drink quite a bit of the good old KWV - wine and brandy - lovely stuff!
Thanks for the Christmas wishes Bro and the same right back to you and your family as well.