Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sunday, the big walk, breakfast and home

Sunday I awoke early after a good night's sleep, I'm afraid I faded a bit early on Saturday night but I was sitting around listening to the chat and I could feel that I was getting blurry, sort of like an out of focus actor in a low budget movie - you know, the guy in the background that you can't quite make out. When that happens it's time to head for the sack. I slunk off and nobody noticed, although Sam asked the next morning "What happened to you last night? One minute you were there and the next you were gone!" I shrugged and replied "Me? I was around, I went outside for a bit, and ......you know...." I let it slide.
"The walk starts at 8 o'clock!" Neil shouted as he walked through with his coffee, it was five to and Janet was already in her takkies and ready to go, some people were already heading down the driveway and I was contemplating what excuse I could use to stay behind but by then it was too late because I was already following them.
Eddie called out "How many Castles must I load in the cooler box - four?" This was going into the support vehicle which was to follow us, "Yeah four should do it." I replied, taking a sip from the one that was already in my hand as I reluctantly hurried down the driveway trying to catch up to Janet.
It is a very pretty area, typical west coast pretty; dry and sandy with lots of succulent type shrubs and plants and I would think that in the spring it would be a very interesting area to walk through, and man did we walk! Neil said it was about five kilometres.



By the time we had done about seven kilometres we needed the support vehicle, Sam was first then Janet and then me.

Thank goodness for a well organised support vehicle is all I can say, that must be how the guys doing the Dakkar rally must feel. By the time we got to the gate which we all had to touch before turning back otherwise we wouldn't get breakfast!!!!! I was starting to feel muscles where I didn't know I had muscles, I briefly contemplated climbing into the support vehicle for the second half but no one else had done that, not even any of the women so I plodded on.

We eventually made it back to the guest house, Belinda immediately started making breakfast as if nothing had happened and the smell of bacon frying got me all agitated. Eddie claimed that we had walked about five kilometres - yeah right! Eleven more like it but I couldn't get anyone to agree with me........seven? Whatever, it had been an enjoyable morning and the breakfast went down a treat. Shortly thereafter we said our goodbyes and hit the road, I hope we are on the list for the next Bambe Zonke weekend, it was a blast - thanks guys.

Check out the website www.bambezonke.com you can't beat it for a really well equipped and comfortable self catering accommodation and I would seriously recommend it to travellers in the area.

1 comment:

JOHN A.K.A SNAPSHOT said...

Andrew,

Great post and a great blog you have. It is very scenic down there where you live and someday I would love to visit. If you ever make it to the States, you are more than welcome to stay here with us and ride with us. I look forward to, maybe someday, meeting you & riding with you..

Ride Safe,

John