Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, these are the ramblings and musings of an (upper) middle aged biker and if you enjoy braais, (barbeques) beers and motorbikes then hopefully you will enjoy what Janet and I do; we do lots of braais, we drink lots of beer and we tour South Africa on our motorbike, which at the moment is a BMW R1200RT. Join us, read about what we do and please leave us your comments.



Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The weekend completed

It was a busy weekend!

That last post only took us up to Saturday lunch but I did go joling in the afternoon; there was a bike rally taking place at the nearby "Vlakvarkgat" resort, which I duly attended after taking Janet home for her afternoon nap. I'm not even sure how to explain "Vlakvarkgat" to you, I believe that a "Vlakvark" is a bushpig or warthog, and a gat is a hole so if you put all of that together you get a rather unpleasant mental image!

As far as the bike rally went it was a bit of a disappointment, it seemed that very few people attended this year, I spent a couple of hours there chatting to friends and drinking a couple of beers, the music was good and this guy did a very good burn-out but by the late afternoon even I had had enough.

We hadn't seen Don and Connie for a while so we decided to go to "Beira Mar" for lunch on Sunday, I know - I know we are doing too much joling and it is going to have to stop if we are going to accumulate South African Rands for our trip to Sturgis, but we thought "Just this once more, ok?" It is such a pleasant place, I mean just look at that venue! What a place to spend a couple of hours over some fine food and a bottle of good South African wine.

I had the Portuguese steak, a lovely tender 350g portion of rump steak on a hot plate done to perfection and accompanied by some excellent potato wedges (again!) It did go down rather well.

Janet had the "Espetada" which she has had before, a wonderful skewer of various meats done to absolute medium-rare perfection and dripping garlic sauce onto a mound of rice and wedges, and whenever she has this I just know that the left overs are going to make a couple of delicious sandwiches for me for the next day or two. After a very pleasant and quite long lunch we made our way home, happily replete and with an invitation to be at the restaurant on Wednesday week when they are auditioning a music duet for the customers, free snacks! We'll be there.

If I don't blog again before the weekend we have a breakfast run on Sunday, we are joining "Fungis" on a run to Riebeek to meet up with the Cape Ulysses group so we have that to look forward to.

If you're in the Cape and looking for a really good restaurant, try our favourite "Beira Mar", give Don a call on 0832560847 and tell him Andrew sent you, you won't be disappointed I can promise you that.

1 comment:

Canajun said...

I just got home from dinner and my mouth is watering over that meal. Looks fabulous!